Saturday, March 28, 2009

The 10 Most Inefficient Exercises (Part 2): Bench Press and Lat Pulldowns

This week, I will be looking at the 10 most inefficient exercise movements. Two per day. Here are the next two:

3. Bench Press: Ah, the bench. The marvelous mark of manhood (and womanhood for some).

It's not that I think the bench is evil. It isn't. If you do it properly, the bench can provide gains in upper body strength, size, and endurance. So why is it on this list?

The key word is using the bench PROPERLY. Most of what is written here applies to "Bench Guy" (very rarely have I seen Bench Girl):

The Bench is not an event to let out your daily frustrations. Me, along with everyone else in the gym doesn't want to hear your blood curlding grunts of triumph as you lift 300lbs. Nor, your laziness in audio form as you slam or drop the weight back to the bench rack.

You don't need to prove to anyone how tough you are, and try to impress girls. (In case you haven't noticed, you scare them away). The fact that you're trying to show how tough you are makes you weak by default.

And please, don't load up on the weight if you can't handle it by yourself. Take the ego blow and ask for someone to watch you. It's okay, I (or anyone) won't think less of you. We'll think you're smart. And we'll be willing to do it if it means avoiding the things I've mentioned above.

Lastly, doing the bench press everytime you visit the gym is inefficient. If done properly - one time a week is all you need. Balance your program.

4. Lat Pulldowns: At best, a complimentary exercise. They should not take the place of pullups.

I see this exercise overused quite a bit. And I suspect the reason: fear.

With the time you have, it is inefficient to spend energy on this exercise. Instead, work on pullups. If you can't do a pullup, use the assisted pullup device.

The pullup is the best exercise for your upper body. Do it more. Practice it, and you'll reap the benefits.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Fitness Q & A. Powered By Blogger © 2009 Bombeli | Theme Design: ooruc